Thursday, May 7, 2009

When Your Baby Gets Hospitalized

My 11-month old son was having difficulty breathing. I went to the pediatrician to let her check what was wrong. She decided that I must immediately bring him to the nearest hospital. He was having an asthma attack. It was my first time admitting my child to a hospital. Every parent does not want to see their kids in pain. To me, watching my kid being struck with needles was terrifying to watch. I tried to be brave about the whole experience. Here are a few tips that a parent must take note when bringing their kids to the hospital:

1. Make sure you're paying attention to what the nurses/the ones attending to your child are doing. Don't be afraid to asks questions. You must have an idea that these people know what they are doing. Unfortunately, I was not paying much attention when my son was first admitted. I did not notice at first that an intern was attending to my son and not the resident nurse. The intern had a hard time looking for my son's vein so that they could attach the dextrose on him. He kept on pushing the needle even twisting it. I was shocked at what he was doing. My son was screaming to the extent that he was already vomiting and turning blue. I asked the intern to stop what he was doing that instant. I picked up my son and told the hospital staff that I'm no longer admitting my kid into that hospital. I resident doctor apologized and asked for a second chance. This time the resident nurse was the one who administered the shot. It was done perfectly this time. My son had an asthma attack but I never brought him to that hospital again. That experience was really traumatic for me. But the second time my son got hospitalized, I chose a hospital who had a nice reputation because of how the staff would treat the patient

2. Bring an mp3 player or anything that can play soothing music especially children songs.
Good thing I was bringing my phone that has an mp3 player. I played kid's songs while the nurses were attending to my son. That calmed him down and also made things easier. The music was a great way to distract him from all the fuss that was happening ( the screaming of the kid's from the other cubicle). Even the child on the other cubicle was singing to the songs playing on my phone.

3. Pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment